Tuesday, March 6, 2012

March 2012

We have cause to celebrate: the Direct Writing Assessment was a huge success for every student in our class!  I won't have the results for months, but I know that my students did well because I peeked over their shoulders as they took the test.  I was impressed with their arguments.  The organization of their papers was expertly written, and their choice of words brought a big smile to my face.  They definitely wrote with "voice", and I was thrilled!   All our hard work was worth it.  Even those students who have struggled with writing did better than I ever expected.

Language Arts:  
 Now that we can relax a little, we are going to write a twisted fairy tale, and just have fun with developing main characters, setting, and plot.

Science:
We are wrapping up our unit on Current Electricity.  Thanks to you parents who came in and helped with our circuit cities.  They turned out to be works of art.  Next week we will begin studying Inherited Traits.  This is a fun unit where we will explore living creatures and their traits.  Why do people look like they do?  What causes certain behaviors?  What is learned and what is inherited?
 
Social Studies:
Students just presented their Civil War Projects-- poems, videos, art, games, dioramas, and reports.
Beautiful display!   We will move on to World War 1, The Great Depression, and
World War 2.
I'd love you to come and share with us, if you have an interest or knowledge in one of these areas.

Math:
We just finished learning about perimeter, surface area, and volume.

Reading:
Most of the class is plowing ahead, trying to reach their Reading Revolution goal, and read their assigned "Battle of the Books" books.   Keep reading!

Arts Night is coming up on March 19 (Monday) at 5:30 PM.  Our class would like to perform their harmonicas.  I know that not everyone will be able to come, and that's OK.   I'll let everyone know when to meet.   I am also giving extra credit points to every student who performs on his/her own or in a group.  They can do a dance, karate, jokes, art, magic show, poem, sing, piano, violin, etc.

-Science Fair is Thursday, March 22.
-School Musical is Friday, March 22, 23 (6:30 PM)
-DARE Graduation is Monday, April 2 at 1:00 PM.
-Peter Pan production is Tuesday, April 3, 10:00.
    *Our class is going so we can watch Harvey perform!

Thank you for helping your children at home with their essays.  I'm convinced that your one on one help gave them the leg up they needed on the assessment.    I am so lucky to have enthusiastic students and supportive parents. 
Thanks for your teaching and training at home.  These are amazing kids!

--Jeanne Payne







 

No comments:

Post a Comment